Sunday, April 19, 2020

PATTAYA ---- A HOME AWAY FROM HOME


PATTAYA -----A HOME AWAY FROM HOME

For several hours I have been sitting at the top of concrete steps that lead to the waters edge overlooking the ocean.  Small white-top waves beat rhythmic motions against the sands at the waters edge, and I am fixated on the rhythms.  If I look to my right, I see long stretches of sandy beaches. If I look straight ahead I see an orange sun surrounded by a series of colorful clouds creeping slowly downward in the Western skies. A sunset over the ocean, I witness, with colors of yellow, orange, and red, dancing on top of white-top waves. The beach is lined with active people, some are walking, some are jogging, and some are playing in the water’s edge, but there is an overall sense of happiness.

I have traveled halfway around the world and am sitting in the middle of strange people, in a strange land, speaking a strange language, I do not understand. Thoughts hammer away in my mind and I assure myself that this feeling of peace is for real, and I question the lack of homesickness. As the shadows of the evening creep forward, I take a few short steps and hop on a baht bus that takes me to my one-bedroom condo in the heart of the city of Pattaya.

Sitting alone in my condo, I ask myself the question, why have I chosen this city as the place to rest my weary bones at least for a few days? I don’t know the answer, but in my present mental state one place is just about as good as any other.  As the days pass I make my way in and out of the daytime and night-time business establishments and discover that Pattaya is an International City. I enjoy the friendly conversations with people from around the world, and politics seem to be on the minds of most English speaking people to which I am quick to add my opinions.

What I enjoy most about this city is the nightlife. Pattaya is an exciting city with a wide variety of night-time entertainment. When the lights come on, this once small fishing village is emerged with excitement. I elbow my way down the world famous “Walking Street,” and attempt to absorb the ambiance. It is like stepping into another world, where imaginations can run wild and adventure can be your only guide. I am reminded of an everyday Mardi Gras, on Bourdon Street, New Orleans, but this street offers a strange but unique adventure. My adventure continues through crowded streets and by some miraculous occurrence I end up in Boyz Town. For citizens of the world who are thrill seekers, Boyz Town, Pattaya, is where you should be. There is the electrifying, “Tina Turner” performance at the Copa, or the sexy boy show at Wild West Boys, or the singing sensation of El Duo at CafĂ© Royale. I quickly realize why Pattaya has earned the title of “THE PARADISE CITY BY THE SEA!”

*****THAT WAS THEN ***** THIS IS NOW! *****

What has happened to this beautiful city? It is disposed with the horrible name of “CORONAVIRUS.” What once was a city with flashing, bright, lights, filled with tourists from around the world is now a darkened, empty, walkway filled with gloom and despair. Hundreds who once made a living in the entertainment and service industries are now unemployed, homeless, hungry, and carrying signs, “MR. CAN YOU SPARE A DIME,” in Thai, of, course.

My problems are minimal compared with thousands who are seeking shelter and experiencing starvation. Yet, I am confronted with isolation and a serious problem of the preservation of life. I am confined to a one bedroom condo in which the walls are closing in. My excitement for the day is to walk outside, wearing a mask, to the parking lot just to check on my car. Yes, I have a car, but I do not drive. It is a new Nissan and I have to keep the battery charged.

Back in the condo, I turn on the flat screen and Elton is on. He is being interviewed by Anderson Cooper about his final “Yellow Brick Road Tour.” With the interview coming to an abrupt end, Elton, sparkling with glitz and glimmer, takes a seat at his million dollar one of a kind, Yamaha grand piano. His first song is “The Tiny Dancer,” and without any pause, immediately leads into “I’m Still Standing.” Elton has the unique ability to brighten any day and soon I am on my feet harmonizing with the words of my favorite song, “Daniel.”

“Daniel is traveling tonight on a plane
I can see the red tail lights heading for Spain
Oh, and I can see Daniel waving goodbye
God, it looks like Daniel must be the clouds in my eyes”

Elton continues with the words, “How wonderful the world is when you’re in the world.” As the memories roll in, I am reminded that no one can give a better tribute to a lover than Elton John.

There is no doubt that Thailand’s “paradise city by the sea” will bounce back. The glamorous tour buses will return and Pattaya will be greater than before. There is no virus big enough to bring a permanent halt to one of the world’s most visited cities. I have no greater pleasure than to know that I am a part of Thailand’s “smiling people” and not a day goes by that I do not give thanks to Thailand for providing me a home away from home.

No comments:

Post a Comment