Sunday, July 5, 2015

LESSONS I HAVE LEARNED


LESSONS I HAVE LEARNED 

   In Louisiana the first step in school integration was to integrate the faculty.  I was assigned to teach in an all black high school. The first lesson I learned was that black students could teach a white teacher more than a white teacher could teach black students. I was startled to learn that there is beauty in skin-color, and there is a depth of determination in the eyes that struggle. I was surprised to learn that black female students had the desire to continue school even with the responsibility of taking care of babies. I was shocked to learn that some male and female black students prostituted their bodies in order to earn enough money to buy clothes for school. I was amazed to learn that black students who lived in homeless shelters walked to school with the glowing desire to learn. I was stunned to learn that the only meal a day for some students was the meal at school.  I was educated to the fact that some students could learn more on an empty stomach than others could learn who had plenty.  I was astonished that many students would go home and wash their one piece of clothing so they could wear clean clothes to school the next day. I learned that the struggles I may have experienced were nothing compared to the struggles of black students who were trying to rise above the stigma of living in a ghetto.

   But the biggest shock of all was learning that American lawmakers voted to cut spending for programs that provided food for hungry American children.  I learned that the biggest disgrace that the people of any nation has to face is to have a government that gives away trillions of taxpayer’s dollars to other nations, and allows American citizens to suffer.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment