Saturday, August 26, 2017

INQUIRING MINDS JUST GOTTA KNOW

INQUIRING MINDS JUST GOTTA KNOW

There seems to be some confusion by a few kinfolks concerning my right to be involved in the American political system because I presently live outside the United States.  Let the records speak; I started paying taxes in America when I was a sophomore in high school with my first job in the public sector as the garbage collector on Saturdays for the town of Chatham, Louisiana. I then worked my way through college and graduate school as a salesman for Sears paying all the local, state, and federal taxes. I continued to work while I took advanced studies in the Bible at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary because I wanted to see for myself the exact translations of the Old Testament in Hebrew and the New Testament in Greek.

As an adult, I made the decision to be a public school teacher, a decision I have never regretted.  For 32 plus years I taught school. I received a couple of promotions but had to turn down some because along with Mr. Leon Anemone we owned and operated a couple of musical retail stores.  I worked after school, on Saturdays, during the holidays, and the summer vacations, paying millions in American tax dollars.  And today I still pay taxes on my retirement funds.  I am happy to report that my tax records are open for public inspection. Therefore, I have earned the right to express an opinion in a politically controlled government that I have helped to support for 63 years.   
  
I always had the desire to travel because I like to meet people of different cultures and experience first hand how other people live. I retired from teaching, sold the businesses, and pursed my dream to travel and to write. I have had the opportunity to travel around the world stopping in many interesting places and meeting many outstanding people.  

Millions of Americans retire outside the USA, and many other millions travel for long periods of time in resort areas around the world.  I am a registered voter in Ouachita Parish, Louisiana, and if I’m traveling at the time of the elections, I vote by Internet. I am an active member of Democrats Abroad which consists of thousands of Americans who have an active roll in America’s political system.

I am sorry that time and space will not permit me to tell you all the exciting places and outstanding adventures I have experienced. But of all those excitements nothing compared to a time when I saw a light in the eyes of a student, and a hand waving in the back of the room, and a voice that rang out, “Mr. Tippen, you know I’ve been thinking…” 

In my quest for the forever young pill I have been blessed with longevity.  I have tried to talk to Father Time but he doesn’t listen, and as a result, the clock keeps on ticking.   

However, I will close with the words I wrote in a poem many years ago.


But if I’m walking my last mile,
I will walk proud and I’ll wear a smile.
If it’s minutes, if it’s hours, if it’s days…
I don’t know.
But one thing’s for certain I’ve enjoyed the show.


No comments:

Post a Comment