Sunday, February 8, 2015

FORCED SURRENDER


FORCED SURRENDER IS NEVER

COMPLETE SURRENDER 

     My heart feels pain every time I see a policemen use heavy-handed tactics of punishment upon citizens. The young high school and college students of Hong Kong wisely chose a nonviolent approach to achieve their goal of political change. They were prepared for the beatings, the pepper spray, the arrests, and jail time that they knew would come from the hands of an evil regime.

   Some might ask ---- What did they accomplish?  They brought the world’s attention to the evils of a one-party political system.  They re-opened old wounds as millions remembered the hardships they suffered at the hands of their oppressors for the cause of freedom. Their struggles also provided strength for other oppressed groups to continue their fight.   

     My blood runs cold when I realize that I have become a part of a world that stood by and did nothing as these young people were brutalized for the sake of democracy. But I find consolation in the fact that one day these victimized students will become parents and their children, even their grandchildren, will be taught the evils of oppression. Generation after generation will appear until one day the majority will be strong enough to overthrow their oppressors.

    I hope there is a heaven, and I really hope there is a hell, because I believe that evil should be punished.  I believe that every policeman who has used unwarranted acts of punishment upon innocent victims, and every slave owner who used a whip on the backs of indentured servants, or every soldier who participated in the Nazi death camps, will one day be held accountable for their deeds.

    I’ve tried to imagine what it’s like when a policemen’s night stick cracks your skull or a slave owner’s whip strikes your back or what it’s like to control your anger while marching into a Nazi death camp. Yes, it’s true, I have sympathy for the oppressed, but I know that exploited citizens will rise again. The Nazi death camps increased the desire for living. The scars from the slave owner’s whips drew the maps to freedom. Prison cells have become the classrooms for smoker’s choice, and the voices of hate have shaped the keys that unlocked the closet doors for gays.

   Oppression always provides the strength for the oppressed to win in the battle for freedom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment